Betancuria was founded in 1404 by the conqueror Jean de Béthencourt, whose name she carries, and his companion Gadifer de la Salle. Since then, it has been the capital and government center of the island. In 1834, Betancuria was replaced by Antigua, since 1860 Puerto de Cabras, today's Puerto del Rosario island capital. The church of Santa Maria de Betancuria was built in 1410 and was from 1424 to 1431 the cathedral of the diocese of Fuerteventura. Although the location of the place was deliberately chosen in the mountains, there were always attacks by pirates. In 1593, when the hordes of Xabán Arraez were attacked, the church was severely damaged and rebuilt in its present form in the 17th century. Thanks to the efforts of the population, the now three-nave church has remained one of Fuerteventura's great churches. In the village there is next to the Museo Arto Sacro the museum of local history Casa Museo de Betancuria. In front of his door is the captured cannon of the Battle of Tuineje from 1734. At the northern exit is the Convento de Buenaventura. The former Franciscan monastery, from which the island was proselytized, was dissolved in 1835 in the wake of secularization and is today a ruin. In Vega de Rio Palmas, the chapel is Nuestra Señora de la Peña, Patroness of Fuerteventura.
Pilgrim path hike in the center
This hike starts in the center of Fuerteventura. On our 10Km hike we will step into the footsteps of the Old Canarians. The route was then the first pilgrimage in Spain. Walk in the past of Fuerteventura and through the most fertile valley of Fuerteventura.
Duration: 3 hours